@Mt 14:1-12. HEROD THINKS JESUS A RESURRECTION OF THE MURDERED BAPTIST--ACCOUNT OF HIS IMPRISONMENT AND DEATH. ( = @Mr 6:14-29 Lu 9:7-9).
The time of this alarm of Herod Antipas appears to have been during the mission of the Twelve, and shortly after the Baptist--who had been in prison for probably more than a year--had been cruelly put to death.
Herod's Theory of the Works of Christ (@Mt 14:1,2).
1. At that time Herod the tetrarch--Herod Antipas, one of the three
sons of Herod the Great, and own brother of Archelaus (@Mt 2:22),
who ruled as ethnarch over Galilee and Perea.
heard of the fame of Jesus--"for His name was spread abroad" (@Mr 6:14).
2. And said unto his servants--his counsellors or court-ministers.
This is John the Baptist: he is risen from the dead, &c.--The murdered prophet haunted his guilty breast like a specter and seemed to him alive again and clothed with unearthly powers in the person of Jesus.
Account of the Baptist's Imprisonment and Death (@Mt 14:3-12). For the exposition of this portion, see on Mr 6:17-29.
@Mt 14:12-21. HEARING OF THE BAPTIST DEATH JESUS CROSSES THE LAKE WITH TWELVE AND MIRACULOUSLY FEEDS FIVE THOUSAND. ( = @Mr 6:30-44 Lu 9:10-17 Joh 6:1-14).
For the exposition of this section--one of the very few where all the four Evangelists run parallel--see on Mr 6:30-44.
@Mt 14:22-26. JESUS CROSSES TO THE WESTERN SIDE OF THE LAKE WALKING ON THE SEA--INCIDENTS ON LANDING. ( = @Mr 6:45 Joh 6:15-24).
For the exposition, see on Joh 6:15-24.
28. And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it is thou, bid me come to thee on the water--(Also see on Mr 6:50.)
29. And he said, Come. And when Peter had come down out of the boat. he walked on the water, to go to Jesus--(Also see on Mr 6:50.)
30. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me--(Also see on Mr 6:50.)
31. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said to him, O thou of little faith, why didst thou doubt?--(Also see on Mr 6:50.)
32. And when they had come into the boat, the wind ceased--(Also see on Mr 6:50.)